Dan is a civil defense litigator who focuses his practice on handling complex commercial, product liability, environmental, transportation, construction, insurance coverage, premises, and other related matters.
Dan’s broad-based practice includes the defense of product manufacturers, security contractors, property owners, technology vendors, insurance carriers, municipalities, and Fortune 500 companies.
Dan has litigation experience in a wide range of jurisdictions and multiple states, with experience as both national counsel and local counsel. He has defended firm clients and dictated case strategy at all phases of litigation from pre-suit investigation to trial.
A collaborative team player, Dan demonstrates a high level of efficiency by balancing his heavy case load with attentiveness to detail and client responsiveness on each case under his supervision. Dan’s accomplishments have been acknowledged by his inclusion on the Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list as well as the Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch list.
Dan’s wide range of litigation experience in multiple fields includes the following:
- Construction: Dan has extensively represented general contractors, subcontractors, and developers/owners in construction litigation, including personal injury defense cases, construction defect cases, and damage-to-adjacent-structure cases (e.g., high-rise damage due to alleged inadequate shoring, earth movement, excessive vibration).
- Transportation and Trucking: Dan has represented trucking carriers in both personal injury defense and cargo loss claims.
- Security Contractors: Dan has represented global and local private security contractors in a variety of matters, including wrongful death, intentional tort, malicious prosecution, and third-party criminal act cases.
- Product Liability: Dan has represented a wide variety of product manufacturers in strict liability product defect cases, including medical device manufacturers, surgical robotics developers, automobile manufacturers, and an international motorcycle manufacturer.
- Premises Liability: Dan has handled many premises liability cases in a personal injury context, including office buildings, retail stores, jobsites, and other private and public areas.
- Commercial Litigation: Dan has extensively litigated commercial disputes, including breach of contract, data theft, and tortious interference claims. For example, Dan defended a server farm in a lawsuit brought by a cloud-based storage provider after an alleged massive data loss due to non-party hardware failures. Dan has filed and defended business operations injunctions in a number of contexts, including a case involving the alleged theft of protected health information by a competitor health provider.
- Copyright and Trademark Infringement: Dan has handled multiple intellectual property infringement lawsuits pertaining to copyright, trademark, fraud, and deceptive business practices allegations.
- Whistle-Blower and False Claims Act: Dan has represented a technology contractor in whistle-blower, fraud, conspiracy, and False Claims Act litigation involving a governmental entity, a Fortune 100 corporation, and a variety of other technology contractors.
- Tort Immunity Act: Dan has defended multiple local public entities and municipalities in various tort defense cases, and as such, has extensively litigated the Illinois Tort Immunity Act.
- Insurance Coverage: Dan has handled multiple aspects of insurance coverage disputes, including consulting clients on the handling of defense and indemnity tenders under additional insured provisions.
- Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act Litigation: Dan has handled high-volume MMWA litigation for a national automobile manufacturer.
Chicago-Kent College of Law
(J.D., with a certificate in Litigation and Dispute Resolution)
Loyola University of Chicago
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Indiana