Robert W. Petti
Robert’s first work on a Superfund site came in the early 90s, conducting field investigations while earning a degree in Environmental Management. Since then, Robert has practiced as a specialist environmental, sustainability, and toxic tort lawyer for over 20 years. In that time, Robert has provided counseling to a diverse mix of industrial and manufacturing clients, as well as municipalities, utilities, and governmental entities.
Robert is chair of the firm’s Environmental Practice Group, where he focuses his practice on environmental issues that arise in a variety of contexts, including litigation, transactions, and compliance counseling. In his practice, Robert represents clients in environmental enforcement actions brought by federal, state, and local authorities in jurisdictions throughout the United States and in private party litigation involving contaminated properties and exposure claims. In addition, Robert advises clients in the remediation and redevelopment of contaminated properties under both voluntary and government-mandated cleanups. Robert also advises clients in transactions involving environmental due diligence, including acquisitions, land divestitures, and remediation options under various Brownfields programs.
As a leader in the firm’s environmental, sustainability, and mass toxic tort practices, Robert actively advises clients on evolving legal and business considerations, including environmental, social, governance (ESG) and sustainability; emerging contaminants; environmental justice; and issues actively being litigated before courts across the country to name just a few.
- Agricultural Law - Chemical Exposure and Herbicide Spray Drift.
- Speaker, "Stay on Environmental Justice," Perrin Environmental Risk & PFAS Litigation Conference, June 14, 2022.
- Co-Author, "Recent Food Packaging Lawsuits Against Fast Food Giants are Supersizing PFAS Litigation,"The Environmental and Toxic Tort Advisor, April 22, 2022.
- Author, "The Evolution of ESG in 2022," The Environmental and Toxic Tort Advisor, April 8, 2022.
- Author, "Federal TRI Reporting and the Illinois PFAS Reduction Act Demonstrate the Promised Expansion of PFAS Regulation is Real and Ongoing," The Environmental and Toxic Tort Advisor, February 24, 2022.
- Author, "PFAS: 2022 Trending Towards a Major Turning Point in Regulation and Litigation," HarrisMartin’s Benzene & Emerging Toxic Torts Litigation Report, January 2022
- Speaker, “Current Litigation and MDL Status Update," Perrin Impact of PFAS on Environmental Litigation Conference, January 13, 2022.
- Author, "PFAS: 2022 Trending Towards a Major Turning Point in Regulation and Litigation," Toxic And Hazardous Substances Litigation Committee Newsletter, December 2021.
- Author, "Will Forever Chemicals, PFAS, Lead to Never-Ending Lawsuits?," Claims Journal, November 17, 2021.
- Author, "Will Forever Chemicals, PFAS, Lead to Never-Ending Lawsuits?,” Insurance Journal, November 16, 2021
- Speaker, "How the Biden Administration will Affect Environmental Underwriting and Claims," Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference, 2021.
- Speaker, "Environmental Reopeners - Strategies to Managing Risk and Impacts," Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference, 2019.
- Co-chair, Colorado Bar Association CLE on Brownfields Redevelopment, 2018.
- Speaker, "Trump Administration Impacts on Environmental Laws," Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference, 2018.
- LawCo-Chair/Moderator - Air & Waste Management Association, Air Quality Management Conference, 2018.
- Speaker, "Lead, Vapor Intrusion & Groundwater Contamination," Perrin Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference, 2017.
- Speaker, Claims Litigation Management Webinar: Vapor Intrusion Regulatory Updates.
- Author, "Beneath the Surface: Developments in Vapor Intrusion Regulation and Why They Matter," CLM Magazine, March 2017.
- Associate Member, Environmental Law Institute
- Chicago Bar Association, Environmental Law Section and Administrative Law Section
- Environmental Section of the Colorado Bar Association, Advisory Council
DePaul University College of Law
Western Michigan University
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado