Mary Margaret Gay
Mary Margaret Gay concentrates her practice on strategies to help her clients anticipate and eliminate risk. She represents clients locally, regionally and nationally.
Mary Margaret began her practice serving as local counsel for defendants in Mississippi when it was a “judicial hellhole,” working closely with clients to manage large portfolios of cases and obtaining dismissals. She served as counsel of record for more than 40 defendants in the Federal Asbestos MDL, leading the attack on screening-related fraud and assisting the Asbestos MDL court in the management of the court’s docket resulting in dismissal of more than 100,000 cases.
She possesses extensive experience in creating cost-efficient, unified defense strategies to manage special issues arising in litigation. Mary Margaret works daily with defendants to proactively evaluate and design strategic plans to eliminate risk in numerous types of litigation. She works closely with companies to create best practices, and trains their employees, outside counsel and others involved on how to put these into play.
Following the landmark opinion in the Garlock asbestos bankruptcy, Mary Margaret worked with clients to design original and proprietary software to assist defendants with identifying alternative exposures, valuing cases and obtaining previously elusive offset information from asbestos bankruptcy trusts. Through this role, she and her team provide clients with national strategies to effectively utilize records and information contained in asbestos bankruptcy trusts to assist with tort litigation.
Mary Margaret also assists clients in monitoring and predicting trends in litigation, including filing rates, verdicts, and jurisdictional changes. Presently, she is assisting several companies in coordinating and defending litigation related to talc exposure.
Mary Margaret also works in Mississippi to assist students, parents and school districts with issues related to Title IX, bullying, implementation of independent education plans and strategies to increase communication for students, teachers and administrators.
Mary Margaret is licensed to practice law in Mississippi and Arkansas. She lives in Jackson, Mississippi and is married to Kevin Gay and has two boys, Drew and Owen.
- Mid-South Super Lawyer® Rising Stars®
- Mid-South Super Lawyer®
- Martindale-Hubbard® Distinguished AV™ Peer Review Rated
- The Best Lawyers® in America
- Top 50: 2014 Mississippi Super Lawyers®
- Top 50: 2014 Women Mid-South Super Lawyers®
- 2015 Leaders in Law by the Mississippi Business Journal
- 2017 Leading Mississippi Business Women by the Mississippi Business Journal
- “2018 Progress Report: Asbestos Trust Transparency Legislation,” The Voice, Vol. 17, Issue 28, July 25, 2018.
- "From Safety to Subpoenas: A Quick Guide to the Mississippi Consumer Protection Act," February 2018.
- "2017 Asbestos Update: Deposition Strategies for Developing Alternative Exposures," For the Defense, June 2017.
- "The Shady Side of Asbestos Litigation," Lawsuit Reform Alliance of New York Asbestos Litigation Meeting, June 2017.
- "Off Target: Dicamba Drift Issues Ensnaring Farmers," Growing Mississippi, August 9, 2017.
- "Part Two: Dicamba Drift Issues Ensnaring Farmers," Growing Mississippi, August 15, 2017.
- "The Bankruptcy Trust Offset: What is it and should it be applied in a Civil Case?" Perrin Conference, March 2015, Beverly Hills, California.
- "Garlock One Year Later," IADC Committee Newsletter, January 2015.
- "Garlock Estimation Ruling: New Procedural Issues (Discovery Motions, Motions to Unseal Records, Lack of Enforcement Mechanisms and What to Do With the Information at Trial); How These Issues Impact Future Liability," American Conference Institute's 18th National Forum on Asbestos Claims and Litigation, January 2015, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- "Garlock Bankruptcy Judge: Asbestos Settlements 'Infected With the Impropriety of Some Law Firms'," IADC Committee Newsletter, April 2014, Second Edition.
- "The Billion Dollar Difference: The Value of Trust Transparency," Mealey's Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, Vol. 14 #1, August 2014.
- "The Billion Dollar Difference: The Value of Trust Transparency," Mealey's Litigation Report: Asbestos, Vol. 29 #15, September 10, 2014.
- "The Garlock Ruling: Understanding the Impact and Applications in the Tort System," FETTI Conference, October 2014, Chicago, Illinois.
- "Asbestos Compensation: The Impact of Bankruptcy on the Tort System," Perrin Conference, September 2014, San Francisco, California.
- "Women in Business Breakfast Roundtable," Perrin Conference, March 2014.
- "Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation: Screening & Case Resolution" Mealey's Emerging Trends in Asbestos Litigation Conference.
- "Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch Changes: The Latest Developments in MDL 875 and What to Expect, a Panel Discussion" Andrews' Asbestos Litigation Conference.
- Mississippi Bar Association
- Capital Area Bar Association
- Mississippi Volunteers Lawyers Project
- International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Junior League of Jackson
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater Jackson
- The ALS Association Mississippi/Louisiana Chapter
- Mississippi College School of Law (J.D.)
- Hendrix College (B.A. in Political Science)